Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Mammoth Goes to See the Manatees

November 29, 2021

Home to KOA Holiday Denham Springs
Planned time: 7:11
Actual time: 5:47
Stops: short pee stop at picnic area where someone had parked a Jeep in the lane of travel and we were wondering if we were going to have to push it out of the way.
Gas and dog walk stop at Love's near Alexandria 15 minutes

I'm in Louisiana, and I'm eating gumbo. It's amazing that we are here at all. We left in plenty of time (8:50) for our record-breaking 7-hour drive, and the first six hours went peacefully. Then we hit Baton Rouge traffic and a 20-minute backup on I-10 at the bridge across the Mississippi. By the time we got to the road construction after the bridge, the backup was 30 minutes and more. Never again.



The plan was to suffer the really long drive off the bat, then stop at a KOA--which we're not fond of--and have easy drives all of the rest of the trip. And three things I can say for KOA's--they are easy to get into, clean and convenient. Which was important, because the sun had set and it was starting to get dark.

The KOA had a really nice doggy play area, with an obstacle course. When we arrived there were two dogs in it, but by the time I walked Molly and Zack over, it was empty and they got the run of the place. I tried to run Molly through the jumps and tunnels, but she thought it was silly. no squirrels on the other end.

Despite Molly having taken a dump at the Love's Travel Stop, where they were out of cleanup bags and I hadn't brought any of my own from the motor home, she managed another one at the doggy play area. But they had bags, hurray! I had to pick it up by flashlight.

So we got out my frozen gumbo and made a pot of rice to accompany

it. Good eats.


No comments: