Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Mammoth Returns

Thursday, December 9 2021
Lake Bistenau State Park to home
Planned 3:58
Actual 4:15

Headed home!  I was glad--missed my kitties and my bird feeder and my refrigerator/freezer full of yummy food. While I didn't exactly go hungry this trip, I'd somehow forgotten to pack the Lo Mein noodles with vegetables that's I'd intended to eat for two of the meals. Neogiri noodles filled in, but I missed the vegetables.

We got out before ten, which was great, but then we were able to "clean out the tank" at the dump station which added ten minutes onto the trip. However we took advantage of the nearly empty park to hook up the Jeep while the tank was cleaning. Unusual--we don't like to do that normally because sure as we get started, someone will come up behind us.


But nobody came, and then we were off. I chose to try a couple of experiments, neither of which were successful. Instead of barrelling right through Shreveport on I-20, like Google suggested, I routed us on the I-220 north bypass around the city. The road wasn't crowded and we made good time, but the surface was very rough. All the shaking was little better than the original highway would have been.

And then instead of going on I-20 to US-69 to cut us north to Greenville, TX, where we could take US-380 home, I chose to take the tortuous route up to I-30 in order to drive on it part of the way, theoretically making the drive easier. And that sucked. We kept getting behind slow people--we followed a truck going 50 to 55 mph in a 65 zone for what seemed like hours but was really only about 30 miles. And then it was just slowpokes and more slowpokes. Until we got on I-30, which was loaded up with huge semi trucks going way too fast. Except in the construction zones, when they were going excruciatingly slow. 

Horrible driving.  it would have been bad even in a car, let alone a motor home.

Our actual route including US-80, 390, US-58N, TX-49W, US-259N, 49, ...
Also we were fighting a 25mph headwind the whole way

Never again!  Highway 69 it is. But we arrived at a pleasant 1:56 after a 4 hour 15 minute drive. Not bad.




No comments: