Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Mammoth Goes to See the Manatee Day 8

Monday December 6

The plan was to take an easy day and maybe drive down to the gulf coast. And we did. 

But first a little more sand and some black water:

  

The Gulf Islands National Seashore entrance gate was unmanned, but if it had been, my senior pass would have gotten us entrance. So on we drove in search of a restroom, which we found at Fort Morgan State Historical park.

Note to all: there's a superb campground at the Gulf islands National Seashore. Water, 50-amp electricity, dump station. There were empty spots when we drove through at about noon. I can't imagine why I didn't see it while planning this trip. Could it really have filled up?  

We should definitely camp there sometime--the beaches are gorgeous, the camping loop small but it's all about location. Best beach camping I've seen to date.

I've never seen such deep, thick white sand in my entire life. Wow.

Fort Morgan is old, full of history, and best of all, you can walk right through it. Climb up to the top lookout station where they have two great big cannons, right there. Like a ghost town you can putter around in.  All sorts of historical signs and events.

 

Peeking out to look for enemy ships:


There's the ocean



 

When we returned it was threatening rain, but it held off long enough for me to take Molly on a jog/walk. I should have jogged the whole route but roots crossing the trail kept slowing me down. Not tripping me up, though--I don't think these trees have those kind of unfriendly attitudes toward travelers. After all, we're (the park visitors) the one who keep them from being lumbered. Due to urgent bowel issue, I had to make an unplanned stop at the restroom which was luckily open. I wondered if this place fills up in the summer or if it's always so pleasantly empty?



As we were turning around to take a second loop around the campground, the wind started to blow and the tops of the trees got whirly. So we went back and were barely inside before big drops started sprinkling down. See, even the rainfall is polite here! But that was the end of Molly's exercise for the day. She'd gotten about fifty minutes total.  Sorry, puppy!

 





No comments: