Thursday, October 27, 2022

No, I won't. Promise.

 Stupid Things I Won't Do When I Get Old


Amusing as promised, of course, but surprisingly thoughtful. The author illustrates his essays--each a short chapter on topics such as "I won't refuse to wear a hearing aid" or "I will plan ahead for loss of independent living"--with stories from his own parent's declining years. And those stories are funny, touching, or sad...and often all at once.

And even if you don't agree with all of his conclusions, although in many cases, what's not to agree? you'll find they provoke some deep thought.

I'm surprised the rating weren't higher. But if people were expecting it to be drop-dead hilarious, they would be disappointed--yep, that's it. I see reviews that say "I expected this to be funny, instead, it came off preachy."  

That's about the sum of it. But not in a bad way, at all. In my opinion.


No comments: