Saturday, October 1, 2022

Okay...ish mystery

Unsafe Haven
by Lucy Burdette


She can write suspense, I'll say that for her. I found this hard to put down even though I didn't feel closely bound to any of the characters. The only one I really liked was the cop's daughter who was doing her teenage act-out number in a frighteningly dangerous way. Her mother had died, she felt alienated from her father(s), and all the anger, stress, and raging hormones had her whacked out, totally.

But she befriended a lost girl on the street and just might have come to act like a decent person by the end.

So the book is suspenseful, freakishly fast-paced, and full of potential. But while Ms. Burdette set the stage for the other characters to be deep and heart-warming in their varied problems and life situations, I never got sucked in enough to really care. Yeah, Miss Main Character, you blew your chances for a wedding by your own weak-willed nature, saying yes to so many people that you never had a thought of your own. Yes, you redeemed yourself in the end--(best part of the book)--but that didn't make me ever want to meet you in literature again.  Sorry--not my idea of a new best friend.

And I'm not criticizing the writing--it was superb so far as I noticed--but it hit a couple of my superpet peeves. Changing perspective and jumping inside too many people's heads, for one. And really unexpected leaps of insight unsupported by logic, for another. Plus an awful lot of coincidences. Oh, well--still a very good book, just not my fave.

No comments: