Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Awful good book to end the year

 Ellie Dwyer's Great Escape
by Diane Winger

Brilliant! I won't tell the plot other than to say it was about a middle-aged (is 60-ish middle aged?) woman whose husband left her and then she escaped from a bad weather thing of some sort in the east (sorry, I didn't get that part clearly in my head and it wasn't a big part of the plot anyway) and headed to Colorado to see mountains.

It started off a little slow, which may be why I was fuzzy on the details of the setup. But it was a very good beginning for me, plus she liked staying in campgrounds and tried to camp out in the back of her little SUV (Jeep?) but kept having miserable experiences with rain and cooking outdoors and freezing to death and all that camping involves. So the notion of a small, pop-up sort of trailer starts haunting her dreams and her daily life as well.  She didn't have the money for it, but....

I was double-hooked and then the book just kept getting better and better.

Lots of stars for this and I am definitely reading the sequels.


No comments: