Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Mammoth Meanders to Toledo Bend, Day 5

Fri 1/20, out the window picture:

Notes at the time:
I like this little park, but it is, as I said, very little. Not the smallest one we've been to, but close. And there are a few "hiking" trails I didn't take, apparently a trail that goes all the way around the lake. The map doesn't indicate how long it is, but my guess it that it might take an hour in good condition.

Which I'm not in. I still feel drained and miserable. Although I managed to stay out of bed until almost 10 o'clock last night, I slept all night. At least until sometime in the wee hours when I woke up soaked in sweat. And then a few hours later when I woke up freezing cold because of my wet clothes. Stupid body. Or, was that what they call, "the fever breaking"? Hmmm.

But I like this place well enough that I wish I'd chosen it as part of the May trip route. It's a pull-through, full-hookup site and easy to get into/out of. Maybe I should swap one of them?

We'll see.


I tried really hard to see and photograph more birds today, but don't think I succeeded it getting much of anything. Just juncos.  I saw a brown thrasher, a mockingbird, lots of juncos, chickadee, titmice, and that's about it. I meant to go feed the ducks but a guy was stuck out on the fishing pier all day, and that's where they'd come to visit me. Molly and I walked around a bit but never saw them.



I still felt crappy but better after lunch. And I was well enough to go eat Mexican, so off we went. Pollo Alegre in Downtown Daingerfield--

Pretty much the worst Mexican food I've ever paid money for. The service was great; the salsa pretty good; and the little sopapilla-line desert they brought out at the end of the meal was excellent.

But the food was so very, very awful. Ed's supposed chile relleno was flat and didn't seem to have a pepper in it. His other thing that he thought was a tamale was really an enchilada, but that might have been confusion about the order. But my vegetable fajitas consisted of a platter of stewed vegetables (including chunks of celery), doused with canned tomatoes. No spices at all and not even a hint of a chili pepper. The tortillas were tough and tasteless, too. Yuck.

I shoved some of it down, but my taste buds weren't enjoying themselves.  How very, terribly, awful.  I used to get an TV dinner Mexican plate at the grocery. 100 times better--I miss it.

No comments: