Friday, January 27, 2023

Mammoth Meanders to Toledo Bend

Monday Janury 16, 2023

Camping at South Toledo Bend State Park. It started off really good, but then I came down with headache and chills and just a bit of scratching in my throat. I was miserable Tuesday afternoon and went to bed at nine o'clock. Kept waking up with headache.

In the morning I felt shitty and only a little bit more human. Still there was nothing I wanted to do except sit down and stare into space.


But that's later--Back to Monday.

We got a good start, pretty much on time. The drive was remarkably fast--just exactly five hours with one quick fill-up. The park was pretty much empty--only three or so other campers. One, of course, happened to be almost exactly between us and the water view.

It's a great place. Newly laid asphalt slabs; a lot of sites with little fenced off patios. Not ours, but that wasn't an issue. For reasons that eluded me, I chose a site on the side of the road away from the lake when there were plenty of perfectly fine sites on the lake side. After thinking about it for a while, I realized that I must have been in a hurry and took a recommendation off campgroundreviews.com, because the person reviewing said it had a great view. What they could have been thinking, I don't know--yes, it does, but there are a lot more better ones that do, too.

I went for a walk and found a flock of little "micro-birds" as Kaufman calls them, and guess what? Golden-crowned Kinglet!  Everyone else sees them, but I never had.

Of course I didn't have my camera. I went out next day with the camera and barely saw a single bird.

On Tuesday, we took a little drive to see the "Pleasure Point" Park that everyone had raved about, and was my original destination for coming here. I'm glad I changed my mind! It was kind of junky and there weren't all the tall trees we like to see. It was under construction, too. Not to recommend.

Molly got two nice long walks, but by the end of the day I was coming down with the miseries and didn't enjoy it myself.  

No comments: