Wednesday, January 11, 2023

 Gardening in my Roots, mid-January

Planted a little spinach and lettuce seed today, under a row cover with plastic sheeting. The lettuce will probably not come up, because the seed was last year's and lettuce seed doesn't keep. The spinach, I dunno.

Other than a little miscellaneous here and there, I'm not having a vegetable garden this year. I'm going to concentrate on flowers, bushes, and trees.  Except that I'm planning to add to the strawberry and asparagus beds, plus I have a couple of pots of sage and parsley started, and I'm going to do some thyme and basil, too.

So today I dug up around the edges of the strawberry bed, getting it ready for planting. I need to add a bag or two of compost (I have some compost in the making, but it won't be ready for use until this fall), and then cover with wood chips before the weather turns wet again. At least, I hope it turns wet again.

Did my forsythia make it through last years heat and this winter's hard freeze?


No comments: