Thursday, February 16, 2023

Good but not so good

 The Exiles

by Christina Baker Kline

This is the second book I've read by the author. The first, Orphan Train, was really good and the people exceptionally well-created and interesting. And of course their stories were phenomenal.

And I'll say the same thing about this book. But I'll not read another by the author. There's a certain lack of something...some degree of missing depth? It's hard to pinpoint. Despite the horrific and devastating events the people endured, I just didn't connect with any of them. There was only one character that I really, really liked, and was becoming very interested in hearing the end of her story--and she died.

But there's a lot of good history, well related, about Australia and England, aborigines and just plain folk. And so I'll recommend it to anyone who likes a good, sad yarn and an adventure of women who prevail despite impossible odds.

No comments: