Thursday, February 23, 2023

Mammoth Seeks the Sun, Day 4

Thu Feb 9

Just some random shots of the RV park and surrounding terrain.


It seemed a little warmer this day. Still windy, of course.  I decided to do the Laguna Atatcosa wildlife refuge first, in hopes of seeing an Ocelot in the morning before it went to bed for the day. We didn't see one, of course, but it was an absolutely lovely place to look for them. We drove out to the visitor center and walked around a while.

That trip took long enough that I decided the skip the drive out to the South Padre Island Birding and nature Center--we'd been there just the year before--and go on to the Resaca De La Palma State Park in Brownsville.  It was a smallish place but there were plenty of walks one could have taken. Ed was tired by then, so after seeing a few Green Jays and a CORAL SNAKE!!! FIRST TIME FOR BOTH OF US!!!

How cool is that?

 

We also went to an overlook where a gentlemen pointed out that the only birds were Ruddy Duck, Redhead, Lesser Scaup and Coot. I think I can pick them all out from the pictures I took.

 

 

 

Then we went to a couple of local markets to pick up some grapefruit and oranges. I have not tried them yet, but just to note that when I asked the price of the grapefruit (after muttering to Ed that if they were $2 apiece we weren't getting them), the young lady said, "Three for a dollar."  Damn. I should have gotten a few dozen at that price!

But I just got a few. I'll cut them up and eat some later.


Then for dinner, we'd planned to eat at Mariscos De La Rosa, a local place with excellent reviews. When we drove by there at about four o'clock, the parking lot was jammed. Good choice....


Alas, not to know. When we headed back at a little after five, Google navigator informed us that it was going to close in an hour. Apparently they close at six on Thursdays but are open normal hours on Friday/Saturday. So we chose not to walk in a half-hour before closing, and went with our second choice, Mi Tierra Seafood.

It was good, or at least, I thought it was excellent. A little bowl of fish soup just hit the spot, and then my fillet with ranchera sauce was yummy and cooked just perfectly. The guacamole I ordered on the side was very good, just the way I liked it.  Ed, however, was not enthusiastic. He disdained the soup for reasons unknown; he ate his shrimp and oysters but declined to comment. So whatever--we won't go back, but then, we were unlikely to anyway. But I still liked the place.



No comments: