Friday, June 23, 2023

Mammoth Takes Mother to Port A, Day 5

13 May

Not exactly. (Responding to yesterday's comment: more adventures tomorrow)  It turned out kind of suckish.

We had a great breakfast at Andy's Kitchen--a bit of a wait for the food, but worth it. Eggs in Ranchero Sauce for me, with excellent refried beans and okay hash browns. And not-so-great-pancakes (tough), but they brought us out biscuits, too. I should have eaten them instead.

 The train that circles the dining room:



Definitely go there again! Maybe not this trip, but sometime again.

Then a short break and a long morning into afternoon looking at Mother's old haunts in Port A. The family "beach house" and another house that someone built, and an old hotel that they stayed in. We also saw dolphins at the ferry crossing and the very nice park that overlooks it.

 Then shopping. The first store was pretty good with lots and lots of teeshirts. I got some sleep shorts and a long-sleeved UV protecting swim shirt. But then we went to the store next door in search of jigsaw puzzles, and I took a huge dislike to the lady proprietor. When she saw us hesitating over which of the puzzles to get, she jumped in and we ended up with two puzzles, both of which were kind of lame. And also sold Mother on some window decals at the checkout counter. The whole shedaddle took a short century, and I was well sick of shopping at the end.

However it turned out good, because I prevailed on Ed to go into the restaurant next door, which was my choice for supper, and look at the menu. My worry had been that it was too trendy and weird for him and his mother to enjoy, especially her. He said it was "okay" but that he'd probably have a po' boy--the most boring and bland item on the menu. Apparently, he was not in an adventurous mood.

That did it for me. If he was going to have a shitty meal, and for certain his mother was going to have a shitty meal, how was I going to enjoy my food--at their expense? So I pulled up the maps again and quickly found "Moby Dick's", which only had 4.1 stars but sounded exactly like the kind of restaurant that they could eat fried fish at and I could have something good, too.



And that's how it went. I had time for a nice long jog with Molly--I kept moving for the better part of 1:10 which was probably closer to one hour with all the stoppage time. and then I got in ten minutes of contract work.

 

My jog ended here:

 

 

 

And then supper.

Moby Dick's:



Note at the time:
No birds today, except nighthawks and a meadowlark in the distance. And a big toad by the campsite. The campground has really filled up for the weekend, but I expect most of these people to clear out tomorrow.

No comments: