Monday, June 26, 2023

Mammoth Takes Mother to Port A, Day 8

Tuesday 16 May

Leaving Port A for Meridian State Park.


It was building up thunderstorms over the ocean when we departed. Quite early, for us--it was only a little after nine o'clock when we finished dumping and headed toward San Antonio. I messed up the route a little bit, planning to go east from the gas stop at Three Rivers but getting distracted and failing to route us over that way, toward Beeville. So instead we went up to the San Antonio loop, then took I-10 over to the 130 Pickle Parkway.

Never again! I-10 is a hopeless mess. I tried to work most of the morning and actually got a little programming done, but it was horrid and I kept getting sick with the ridiculous motion of the Mammoth--up, down, sideways and jerking all over the freaking place.

Eventually we arrived and then got a little 15-minute walk before time to leave for Glen Rose, where Mother met up with her two sisters, one brother in law, and another guy ( a cousin maybe?) that I'd met but not remembered very well. He was nice and we all had a good meal and a lot of chatting.

 


The sisters didn't get as much quiet time reminiscing as I hoped they would, but what can you accomplish in two hours at a restaurant?

We returned to camp at about seven, and after doggie supper Molly got a pretty long walk up to the scenic overlook.

 








I had a little scare at the overlook--when I turned around to go back, I discovered that there were three or four well-marked trails heading out all different directions--which one had I come up on?  I started on one of them, going a good 25 yards or so before I realized I hadn't arrived at the street yet. 



So I quickly backtracked and found the right route. And that's the end of the day. A very long, very tiresome day. I'm happy we are taking this trip but I'll be glad when it's over.


No comments: