Friday, March 1, 2024

Recipe Adventures...or not

 I tried one of the recipes from a cookbook I checked out of the library--The Blue Zones American Kitchen's Salvadoran Tofu Scramble. It was okay, just. What's not to like--onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, tofu, turmeric and salt?  After tasting it, I added a sprinkle of powdered cayenne and cumin. That improved it.

I think the book is proving to be a dud, recipe-wise. For one thing, I doubt that Salvadorans eat tofu or use turmeric as a spice. I think the authors just picked the countries with the longest-lived people and then invented the recipes at random. I could very likely see Salvadorans scrambling eggs with the vegetables, but I suspect they'd use garlic, chilis, and ground pumpkin seeds as their seasonings.

So this one is a reject, however, I need to remember to make myself a tofu-veggie scramble more often.  Most likely with soy sauce, rice vinegar, and mirin.


No comments: