Sunday, March 3, 2024

Review: to Shake the Sleeping Self

To Shake the Sleeping Self: A Journey from Oregon to Patagonia, and a Quest for a Life with No Regret
by Jedidiah Jenkins


I have to admit with apologies that I only picked up this book because knew the author's father, Peter Jenkins, from his own travel books. I got started with A Walk Across America way back in the...seventies, was it?  

But that was just the start and it wasn't the reason I devoured every page of this with great interest and mostly enjoyment. (After all, how can one enjoy miserable days in the desert with heat, cold, boredom and flat tires?)  But he didn't dwell on his miseries so much as his joys, and it turned into an intensely enjoyable travel story as well as a story of self discovery. He doesn't quite "find himself"--yet--but he went a long way down that road.

I didn't notice the writing, good or bad, so that means good by default. Pretty much highly recommended with only a warning that he went off into his own personal life history for a chapter or so. I found that very interesting, too, but I can see that some people might consider it a pointless digression.

No comments: