Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day 224 - smart or acclimated?


So here's this thing.


The Internet says to harvest when the rind is hard enough that it can't be pierced with a fingernail.  And that is definitely true--but maybe I have weak nails?  A good number of the plants are turning yellow.  I thought it was squash vine borers, but it isn't.  With those, the vine wilts overnight, but these are just turning yellow and brown and dying off slowly.

So I think I'll have some spaghetti squash this weekend!

One thing for sure--if I'm ever going to get any ranchera sauce it needs to be made this weekend.  Next weekend I'll probably be out of town and everything will probably smash, rot and die.

I only had two Roma tomato plants; I'm pretty sure I planted four but at least one died.  That's okay--I'll make it with what I have, but it's a shame--the celebrity and other "eating" tomatoes have way too much juice in them.

Dog report--today she stepped into her own harness.  I don't know if she's eager to go for a walk, a slave of routine, or desperately anxious to do what the scary human wants, but whichever it is, I truly think one of these days she's going to figure out how to put her own harness and leash on.

All I'll have to do is say, "Let's go for a walk," and she'll be dressed and waiting for me.

No comments: