Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Is this sour grapes? Am I mad at my garden?


Notes From An Italian Garden

by Joan Marble

I wanted to like this book.  Wanted it so much that I slogged through to the end and even read the epilogue, a slightly preachy summation where she touted gardening as the cure to every modern ill--pollution, noise, haste, spiritual ennui.

But you can guess that I didn't.  Endless listings of beautiful blossoms did little for me when I didn't recognize the flowers and couldn't build mental pictures of them.  The written descriptions didn't jump off the page and open up in my mind.  If I were an aficionado of flower gardening or if I'd read it with a seed catalog handy, I might have had a better experience.   I guess I'm just too prosaic--I like pretty flowers but I prefer my garden to be toothsome.

The funny parts were funny.  Especially the animal invasions.  If you come across a copy of this, read the funny parts but skim the flowery ones.

No comments: