Sunday, October 13, 2013

More reading "off" the plan


I might as well write a review of A Solitary Blue by Cynthia Voigt while I'm still misty-eyed from the last page.  It's even better than Dicey's Song if that is possible.
Since these books are "critically acclaimed", I kept expecting incest or abuse or other issues deemed significant in the eyes of people who review children's literature.  But no such extremes of malfunctioning behavior was necessary--the story of (not so) ordinary people surviving (not so) ordinary conditions and coming out on top (or not) made me cling to the page even as I groped for the box of tissues.

I'd advise you not to read a synopsis of any of these books before beginning.  Just open to the first page and let Ms. Voigt take you wherever she pleases...I think you'll enjoy the ride as much as I did.

No comments: