Wednesday, February 14, 2018

My Dorothy Sayers fiction reading is complete

The Documents in the Case
by Dorothy L Sayers and Robert Eustace


Very peculiar arrangement--I guess she was trying an experiment. And I guess it worked--it kept me reading, anyway. She used the "letters" approach in the first part of Busman's Honeymoon and it was an amusing way of showing what other people were thinking about the matter. But in this book, it's all letters and statements. Luckily, the statements are written informally, as if a person was talking or copying down his own experiences, rather than speaking to a policeman.  That would have been horrid.

Here are some notes I made while reading it:
Page 45 and no murder yet. But I can't stop reading--clearly, something is going down.
Over a third through, and still no murder. The mystery deepens.
Page 134 (out of 261) and nothing has happened!  Well, no, a lot has happened. But no murder. There has to be a murder, doesn't there? It's called The Documents in the Case--you wouldn't assemble documents for a case if there was no case, would you?
(Actually I know the answer from the blurb on the cover. I wish I hadn't read it; it tells too much.)

If you're a die-hard Sayers fan, you'll have already read this. If not, then my suggestion is this: start with The Nine Tailors, read all the others, then finish with this.

No comments: