Thursday, February 15, 2018

Recipe Reduction Regimen 183..180


Only four recipes last weekend; I'd hoped for six. But I might sneak one in during the week.  I'm trying to get ahead now because when gardening weather hits, I'm gone. I might have to take a vacation day just for the purpose of catching up.



Sweet Potato Polenta

 from Yup it's Vegan

One of the books on food that I read last year, probably The Third Plate, exulted over the flavor of polenta made with a heirloom replica of corn. (Sorry, I don't remember if was an heirloom or a replica of one.) But from how he described it, he might as well have said, if you've never eaten this polenta you've never eaten polenta.

So I made polenta. And I ate it. But, I'm afraid, I've never eaten polenta.

I didn't use the cheap grocery story cornmeal, either--it was Red Mill's stone ground. But still no flavor. In the Little House Days, Ma would have heated up some lard in an iron skillet and fried this up into golden cakes, to be eaten with sorghum molasses or maple syrup.  What didn't I choose her recipe?

Hidden Cashew Ranch Dressing
FatFree Vegan Kitchen

It sort of tasted like ranch dressing. Is that good enough?


Ms. Susan Voisin, the author, pointed out that this was merely a starting point and offered several suggestions for changing it up. I'm thinking more cashews, less milk, more parsley, real chives (I had to use onion), dill, and maybe a half shallot. And for a final adornment, a scoop from a jar of Marie's Ranch Dressing.



Pecan Sandies Melt in Your Mouth
By Missy Wright

Just opening up the bowl to take this picture made me giddy. I had to back off from the aroma in order to stay detached enough to write this note. Maybe I should taste one to see if they're as good cold as they were warm....

(I didn't)  But just to attest that they were as good as I say, I'll point out that the one I broke in half so I could see if it was done in the middle (a bad habit of mine), had disappeared by the time I finished supper and went back for dessert. Should have wrote my name on it.

I still think the best cookie recipe I ever made was for toasted coconut shortbread. But as a vehicle for applying cellulite to your thighs, these were first rate.

Vegan Shepherd's Pie
from Fat-Free Vegan

I'm no expert but I don't think rosemary follows the rule of conversion between fresh and dried herbs. Ms. Voisin specifies 2 tsp fresh or 1 tsp dried; I used fresh and probably a little less than 2 teaspoons, but it was overpowering. I notice that http://www.ourherbgarden.com/rosemary/drying-rosemary.html says to use a one-to-one substitution.


Or possibly it's my rosemary. It's been in the pot too long and it's not getting enough humidity.  I'll plant it outside in the summer and see if I can start a cutting.

As to the dish, it's okay. Not much difference between eating mixed vegetables alongside mashed potatoes. It needed a big scoop of gravy.

No comments: