Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Recipe Reduction Regimen 190, 189


Tortilla de (Sweet) Patatas
 An Eats Well With Others Original

I just did an awesome thing!  I made a big omelet of sweet potatoes, onions and eggs. I slid it off onto a plate, and then flipped it over upside down, back into the pan! How marvelous am I?
 
As the the recipe...well, sweet potatoes and onions are lovely, and my hastily improvised substitute for Chinese Five Spice powder wasn't too bad--it could have been spicier. Putting it all together with eggs and toasting it in a skillet doesn't exactly make a "tortilla"--I give her credit for creative naming--but it made a fine omelet.  With some frozen spinach, it made breakfast.

After last weekend's sad mixture of failure with mediocrity, I'm happy to report we have a winner!

Mirin Glazed Tofu
author unknown



Okay, what do you expect if you simmer tofu in a sugary glaze of mirin, miso, and soy sauce, then bake the tofu to give it a little 'skin' while you reduce the glaze?  It was so good that I kept tasting it, to the tune of half gone before it hit the table. Luckily it was only for me, but even so, I don't need to make a pig out of myself.

I wonder if this isn't the recipe for the chilled tofu I get at my favorite sushi restaurant?

No comments: