Tuesday, April 3, 2018

A Celebration of Dog!

Add caption


A Dog Year: Twelve Months, Four Dogs, and Me
by Jon Katz

He includes a warning note at the end--don't go out and adopt a Border Collie after reading this book. As if the book itself wasn't one long warning about adopting Border Collies. Especially deeply disturbed ones. As he remarks early on,
It  had taken a couple of years for Devon to become a nervous wreck; how long would it take to reclaim him? Was it even really possible?

We'll see. I used to want one myself but I never had the space for it to run; now, I don't have the energy. My little Alisha might have been part Border Collie--she was certainly speedy in her prime and she could climb a chain link fence, something I never dreamed any dog could do until I caught her at it.

Jon Katz's dogs can do many more amazing tricks...or should I say, nefarious? I don't dare give them away, but they're mostly hilarious--since they're happening to someone else. I'm remembered of the kitten I had--I left the faucet dripping for him one day, and when I returned there was water all over the room. And there was the day I left the linen cupboard door cracked....

However, some tricks aren't so funny. Especially when the animal is doing something likely to get him killed. Before reading this book, I recommend any dog lovers take a serious look back at the mistakes you've made in your dealings with pets. We know we should never hit an dog; never punish after the fact; never yell at it; but who of us are so perfect that we never did? I've done all those things, was sorry immediately and got it right the next time; my dogs forgave me easier than I could forgive myself. Jon Katz is a good-tempered man and a strong pack leader, but even he makes mistakes. Be a dog and forgive him; he'll soon be trained, with patience and reward.

No comments: