Monday, April 9, 2018

Recipe Reduction 147...146


Lunch Jars

This was one of those adorably cute articles about the different lunches you can stage in mason jars and then eat cold or 'cook' by adding hot water. I don't know what kind of idiot I was to think I'd ever actually want to go to so much trouble. Each one makes only two servings and each one is very high on the hassle meter. 18 to 21 ingredients, each--really?

I ended up doing the Thai Rice Noodle Jar but I couldn't get 'instant' rice noodles and ended up with regular, which take 8-10 minutes to cook. I left out four of the thirteen ingredients, too, and....

Darn! I was all prepared to hate it, but it came out pretty good. Maybe I should go back and look at some of the others.

The burrito jar would taste great, but having to char an ear of corn on a grill makes it a non-starter for me. It's okay for rich people who have a stovetop with a built-in grill. Also it has you making guacamole by adding olive oil to an avocado. What kind of idiot would put oil on avocado? Is this a recipe for people on high-fat diets?




The grilled vegetable/quinoa bowl would take an hour to prepare. Plus it calls for feta, which I hate, balsamic vinegar, which I hate, and Dijon mustard, which I dislike. It uses 1-1/2 tablespoon (plus more for drizzling) of olive oil per bowl. That's 180 calories just from fat alone!

The kale pesto jar is even fattier, 2 tablespoons per bowl. Nope.


Tempeh Tacos

Tempeh is not my thing. I think I have one more recipe using tempeh and then I'm done with the stuff. The idea is that you use it as a filler in a recipe otherwise loaded with flavor, and since it has no flavor of its own, you think you're eating some nice chewy goo, like a hamburger or a bowl of farro. Me, I'd rather have the farro.

No comments: