Friday, April 27, 2018

Recipe Reduction 137..136

Alton Brown's Fried Chicken  (sorry no pictures!)

I borrowed his technique but not his ingredients. Wish I'd done it all!  He includes garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper, but my husband didn't want all those spices in the gravy.  So I left them out. And he decided not to make gravy. I feel cheated.

Good technique--overnight marinade in buttermilk.  And free-range chicken, of course. It was tasty.

White Beans and Cabbage
by Heidi Swanson

My, was that quick!  Of course I made the beans on Sunday, cut up the potatoes yesterday, and forgot the hot peppers.  I'll throw them in now but it won't be the same.

And the result? Boring with a capital Bore.  She wants you to cook diced potatoes, mash in a layer of cooked beans and onion, brown on both sides (which is impossible because you can't flip the stuff), then add shredded cabbage and cook, DRY, a little longer.  Note my emphasis on DRY.

This is a glorious example of how to take three splendid foods and ruin them.  No keeper, no!  I can't delete it fast enough for me.

No comments: