Saturday, April 7, 2018

Recipe Reduction 148

Yesterday morning I did something I shouldn't have. I had discovered that I wanted to skip a few of the saved recipes--one was a duplicate but the others were just things I'd lost interest in trying. Also, there was one recipe that was going to be too expensive.

So I deleted them and replaced them with new ones I'd pulled from A Modern Way to Cook.  (The expensive one I moved to a new folder: Things to Try Maybe Someday.)

And that was bad.

Wasn't the whole purpose of the exercise to teach me a lesson? To teach me to not keep on accumulating baggage that fills my space and leaves no room for new ideas to try? Well, maybe not--it wasn't a punishment, it was a motivation. Quit saving the dumb things and start trying them!

But discarding things without even trying them, and filling the bucket with new things, definitely wasn't the point.

No more cheating! 
(Except about the imitation feta cheese recipe. When I saved it, I thought that feta cheese was this magical ingredient that would transform my meals into masterpieces. Now I think that feta is a trendy, overused rip-off of some European cheese that might possibly be good--but you can't get it in America without paying import fees. I'm sure the stuff they use in restaurants is as fake as imitation margarine; I know it tastes like stale cardboard. I don't want the junk in my kitchen, so why imitate it?

Very Veggie Scramble

I was getting all ready to complain about the too-short cooking time--three to four minutes in a skillet was supposed to make broccoli florets tender? That's impossible; eight to ten minutes was more like it. But I read the recipe wrong--I was supposed to mince the florets, which would have let them cook faster. They'd have turned to mush, but tasted the same.

Here's my ugly result. I think it would have been better to just mix the veggies in with the eggs, instead of attempting a 'filled' omelet. Filled omelets are better when you have something creamy or gooey in the middle. And the broccoli was all wrong. I'm deleting this recipe, but sometime in the summer when I have tender 'frying' peppers in the garden, I'm making myself a spinach-pepper-onion-mushroom omelet and maybe a little cream on it....mmm.




No comments: