Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Absolutely horrid mystery...or whatever

Save Me
by Lisa Scottoline

I won't say much, because I really like the author's books of humorous essays. I don't hate Ms. Scottoline, but I hated this. I finished it only because it seemed to be getting better and I wanted to know how it ended. Waste of time.

I absolutely despise the cliche of the cute little female, with no physical training, who runs off to confront danger without letting anyone now where she's gone. I think she texted her husband but didn't leave specific details. With no thought of weapons, no plan, no training, and no brains, she's going to fight off a big, brawny guy determined to kill her? Well of course.

Needless to say I didn't bond with the heroine in the least. I suspect the author went out of her way to make her weak, wimpy, and kind of stupid, in hopes that we'd cheer all the louder when we finally saw her take charge of her life. It didn't work.

Isn't it her editor's fault that almost every chapter--and there were a lot of chapters--started with the words 'Rose' + a verb? "Rose looked..." "Rose picked up the phone..." "Rose chirped the locks..."  It reads like a first draft--was it rushed out without any editorial review?

No comments: