Thursday, August 16, 2018

Recipe Reduction 63-61

Tina's Award Winning Hummus

I don't know about award winning, but it's not bad hummus. I like her idea of replacing part of the tahini with olive oil. Tahini is a paste made out of sesame seeds, so it's high in omega-6 fatty acids. Olive oil has a more even ratio of omega-3 to omega-6.

She called for way too much salt--is it possible her canned chickpeas were unsalted? Normally I'd cook my own chickpeas for something like this, but I took the convenience of buying canned ones.

(sorry, no pictures. Traveling when I ate these)

Eggplant Salad Pitas

I used the Award Winning Hummus on eggplant salad pitas. But I played fast and loose with the recipe--mine was more accurately Eggplant Salad Wraps. Still very good.

Peel, slice and roast eggplant with olive oil and salt. Meanwhile, chop up tomato, cucumber, jalapeno, garlic and parsley; dress with a little olive oil, yogurt, lemon juice and cumin. When the eggplant is done, stuff your pita/aka wrap with hummus, eggplant and salad. Delightful!


Ridiculously Easy Jalapeño Pickles
by Susan Voisin, FatFree Vegan Kitchen

They were. And they're good enough that I'll never need to find another recipe for pickled Jalapeños.

But what, oh what was she thinking when she told hold to seal the jars, then said to keep them in the refrigerator?  The whole point of pickles--aka preserved foods in acid--is that you don't have to keep them in the refrigerator. Strange.





No comments: