Thursday, August 23, 2018

Recipe Reduction 60-59

Smoky Pepper and White Bean Quesadillas
from A Modern Way To Cook

Apparently a modern way to cook results in a stupid way to write recipes.  I like the empowering feeling of phrases like "a handful of cherry tomatoes," until it's mixed with exactly one-half of a lemon's juice, 1/2 bunch parsley, and 1/3c roasted red peppers.  What would it hurt to specify how many cherry tomatoes fit into her hand?

Why call for 1 unwaxed lemon when you're only going to use half of it?  Say I read this recipe and remembered I had 1/2 of a lemon saved in the fridge. Most times I'd be stupid enough to go buy more lemons. And why unwaxed, when you're not going to use the peel?  Is the juice inside a waxed lemon less flavorful than the juice inside an unwaxed?

I didn't time it. As written, 10 minutes is not an unreasonable estimate. I had to cook my own beans and roast my own peppers. If you start with cans and bottles--or a well-stocked freezer--you can make a lot of dishes in 10 minutes.

Enough growsing. White beans and roasted red peppers are a delightful combination, and it's always lovely to throw together a fresh salsa to accompany quesadillas. I'd have called for cilantro instead of parsely in the salsa, but that's me.

Nonetheless I should never have saved this dish. Smoky anything--paprika, chili powder, or liquid smoke are all non-starters for me.  I'll replace it with a little cumin and call it close enough.

Creamy Vegan Wild Rice Soup
Author unknown

She seemed to think that wild rice will cook in 15 minutes, but it was still crunchy for me. And the whole point seemed to be that you can replace cream by using raw cashews + cooked cauliflower + white beans purreed in a blender.  What's the point?  It's not going to taste like cream with those ingredients, so why make it look like cream?

Adding miso stirred in vinegar helped the flavor and the result was very eatable, extremely stick-to-the-guttable. But still bland and rather boring.

No comments: