Saturday, August 4, 2018

Recipe Reduction #68

Roasted Vegetable Avocado Garden Wraps

I think I've hit a winner AND a do-over. The idea of roasting veggies, glueing them together with mashed avocado, and rolling them in wraps, well, that's not all that original, right?  I should have been able to think of that for myself. But her clever idea is to slow-roast the veggies in a glass dish, so they take on the sweetness of roasted vegetables but not the crisp, browned edges. And they're softer, too.

I'll definitely do this again and substitute more interesting vegetables than the onion+bell pepper+cauliflower she uses. Squash, for instance, or carrots or mushrooms. I've nothing against cauliflower, but it's bland and doesn't roll up very well.

Her take on spices is dreadful--paprika, garlic powder, and oregano. Paprika doesn't do anything for vegetables. Why not cumin and fresh cilantro, or basil? Doesn't she know that in addition to improving any vegetable it comes in contact with, basil can be chewed and applied to an insect sting to draw out the venom and ease the pain? It is reputed to help with rattlesnake bites, too. 
Eat More Basil!

No comments: