Saturday, November 14, 2020

At Cedar Ridge Belton Lake, Days 2 and 3

 Sunday October 4

Sunday morning, still no birds. Where did all the canyon wrens go? Are they simply silent for the winter, or are they still singing their annoying little ditty on the other side of the campground?

Lots of deer in the morning.  Well...lots, as in four. Then one later. Molly thought there were lots.


Pretty flowers all over,


We gave Edward the option of going fishing or playing disc golf, and strangely, he chose fishing. So after the obligatory run for camping donuts (yeah, you heard that correctly), the guys got some minnows while I gave the dogs a long, delicious walk, and off we went in the boat.

The boat ramp was packed. There were two paved trailer parking lots and one gravel overflow lot, and all of those had trailers in them. And a lot of pickup trucks, too. We later learned there was a tournament going on. There also appeared to be a little party in the grassy area next to the boat ramp, because at least forty people and children were gathered around and they had a little ceremony shortly after noon. We couldn't hear what it was all about, nor did we care to hear--we were fishing.


The crappie spot was easy to find and proved productive. I had three small ones and a tiny little perch; Ed had a few, and for the first time, Edward! He had at least two decent sized ones--I thought they said thirteen inches but it might have been fourteen--and they were deifnitely keepers. Sadly, we weren't keeping.



One of them thrashed around so violently that it tangled my line with his--I was fishing about three feet behind him and I didn't pull in fast enough. You never know what a fish will do, though, and I should have anticipated the snarl. Edward untangled the line and it took him a good while...I felt guilty at not doing it myself, but I forgot that I had my glasses handy for once.

At about two o'clock the fish stopped biting. Why knows? I've seen it before, but never expect it until it happens.

So it should have been a lovely evening with barbequed chicken and family, but stupid Molly ruined it. We had an incident with a neighbor's dog; we offered to pay the vet bills but they left camp next day and never came back to tell us how much money we owed them. I am very sorry.

Monday October 5

Monday had better have a better ending than the day before--I was determined of it. No mistakes, no loose dogs, and no neighbors with locked door disasters.

We had a leisurely breakfast, sans Edward, of course. I guessed my hopes of feeding him pancakes were gone, this trip. After that I washed dishes, took a shower, put away dishes and helped with preparations for "the big move." Our new campsite was about a hundred yards from the old one, but it was right by the water and I could walk the dogs without squeezing my way though other people's campsites. There were many more open spaces than there had been the night before, but I still would have guessed it at one-quarter to one-third full. According to a lady we spoke with last night, they close down all the campgrounds on Belton Lake except this one (and only this side of it) and the one on the north side of the dam. We had driven through that one and were not impressed.

Other than the move, I didn't make any notes for the day. Molly and I took a long walk, over to the other camping area and along the water. We didn't see this



falcon there, but we enjoyed it all the same. The falcon pic came from the fishing trip next day.


No comments: