Thursday, November 12, 2020

Listening was a treat. And scary.

The Alienist
by Caleb Carr

Impossible not to fall in love with this. Gory and gruesome to the max. A whole lot of mystery and intrigue and history out the whazoodle. If it hadn't been so clearly written in present time, looking backward, you'd have thought you were there in 1890s New York City. I listened to the audiobook and I occasionally went back and re-listened to a section just because I wanted to hear it again.

One odd thing--I assume that the Mr. Roosevelt he includes in his cast of characters is the Theodore Roosevelt, soon to become president of the nation. But at one point the author refers to him as Mr. President...was that a mistake or did I mis-hear?  Because at the time he was just a police commissioner or some such bureaucrat.

Mr. Carr left himself open to writing a whole series of books starring the same cast of characters, and it does appear that he's written a sequel, but I'll have to carefully consider some of the very negative reviews it's gotten.

No comments: