Saturday, November 28, 2020

Punning and K-9 detection

 The Paw Enforcement mysteries, #3-6

by Diane Kelly


See my review of Laying Down the Paw. I will not review the rest of the series individually--I'd run out of things to say and get tired of saying the same thing over and over. She's taken a pattern and followed it in every book, with different crimes, settings and protagonists, of course. They're getting funnier as they go along, which is good.

I mentioned before that her pattern is to alternate chapters between the detective (police officer with ambition), her drug sniffing K-9 companion, and the bad guy. And I really, really hated reading from the perspective of the bad guy. It spoiled the mystery and got boring to boot--at first she seemed to be offering up a little lesson in psychology, letting you empathize with the criminal for a bit. But in the last two books she's kept the bad guy's chapter to a single page, or less. And I am grateful--I can skim it briefly or skip it altogether. And I find that improves the whole mystery. A lot.

No comments: