Friday, November 20, 2020

Rev. Clare Fergusson rides again

 Through the Evil Days

by Julia Spencer-Fleming

Long anticipated book number 8 in the series, and it didn't disappoint one bit. I don't even want to write about it--it was so good I probably wouldn't do it justice.

One strange thing, as good as Ms. Fleming's books are, when I went back and tried to re-listen to some of the ones I'd downloaded as audiobooks a few years ago, I found that I didn't enjoy them the second time around. I ended up deleting the lot. Was I too hasty?  Or, more likely, was the writing so good that you "got it" all the first time?

Some writers have subtle surprises in a book that you'll only pick up on a second reading. I was expecting to find this in her books, but I guess not. Or it could be that the process of listening to an audiobook was so much more immersive than reading the pages that I got it all in a single listen. Very possibly so.


Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, a Man Who Would Cure the World
by Tracy Kidder

I'm embarrassed to admit that I got bored reading this. It was simply a biography of a great man.  There wasn't any technical detail about the diseases he encountered--in fact, I know that a great deal of the book dealt with cases of MDR TB but if I hadn't already known what that was, I would have had to look it up to understand the book.

And like a lot of biographies, there was no "plot" that would keep me interested. That's logical, of course--human lives don't have a plot, in general. But still he could have structured some of the chapters to simulate a little suspense, couldn't he?

No comments: