Thursday, November 19, 2020

Inspired but my legs got tired

Don't Stop Me Know:
26.2 Miles of a Runner's Obsession

by Vassos Alexander


As a reader, I only asked this book to give me a push and a bit of inspiration for my own running.  Okay, call it "jogging." And it did do that, and more.

He mixes his own experience at the time of a marathon with essays looking back in his life and interviews with other runners. I liked his personal stories the best, although I can't help wondering what is wrong with him that he would push himself through pain to run races. There's a difference between "pain that you recognize is just part of pushing yourself hard" and "pain that is likely a sign of injury", and he describes a whole lot of the latter. I'm surprised he's still running.

But he writes well and I recommend the book despite the pain of reading it.

No comments: