Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Couple of books read during the last vacation

 Judge Thee Not

by Edith Maxwell

Just finished the next Quaker Midwife Mystery--Judge Thee Not. As usual, I'm ambivalent. The midwiving and birthing scenes are great; the personal associations are so-so, but this time they left me feeling unresolved; the mystery is meh. The mystery was a little better than in the last one, building up to a good puzzle, but the denouncement just didn't do anything for me.

I'll probably read another, but I have a hard time raving about them.


One Shot At Forever

Easy to pick up; hard to put down, and full of details that take you back to childhood in a small town. If you had a childhood in a small town. It's a detailed look at the personalities and the players of an Illinois rural baseball team who suddenly, magically almost, started to win games. A lot of mini biographies mashed together and strung on the winding string of a baseball season where winning, against all expectations, just happened.

I expect anyone who likes baseball would like this story. Maybe not love it, love as in totally wanted to read it over and over and rejoice in every victory, but like it just fine. That's how I felt, anyway. The author did his research well and yes, I admit he could have hyped up the excitement by changing the facts a little bit, but he didn't. And that is admirable.

No comments: