Thursday, May 20, 2021

Review of How NOT to RV

How NOT to RV;
The Rvers Guide to RVing in the Absurd
by Jennifer Flower

I hate to admit this, but the author's particular style of humor and storytelling did not go over well with my particular appreciation of humor and story reading. Best I can suggest is, try it for yourself and see what you think.  I've had the same reaction to several famous humorists that pretty near everybody likes--for example, David Sedaris--so It's possible I just don't have a snickerbone.

Maybe I'd have liked it better if she told her stories straight, beginning to end rather than end-to-beginning. For example, "To show off your RV competence, be sure to drive away with your sewer hose connected to the sewer hookup, until it pops loose and...." She adopted the opposite approach to the old joke-telling methodology--instead of hiding your punch line in digressive details and then popping it out at the last minute, she chose to prefix every story with the punch line. It got old for me.

But I must say that she's an admirable person and a pretty good writer. She seems to approach new situations with an observational, not a judgemental, view. I like that very much. She should consider (if she hasn't) writing some travelogues of her journeys.


No comments: