Sunday, May 2, 2021

Gardening in my Roots Resumes

 Finally, all the annoying time-draining junk is over and I'm back to gardening! Plus traveling, bird watching and blogging. But the first topic is gardening.

A good amount of rain has fallen in the last week, producing an explosion. This is not all weeds, as it looks, but actually a cover crop I planted--Hairy Vetch. It enriches the soil with nitrogen.

 

Assuming, of course, I get out there and turn all the green stuff under. Sounds like work but I can't really label gardening as "work". It's a hobby, so therefore it's play. Sounds like play. Ugh.

The picture below is disturbing. The plants in evidence are beets, and if you look closely you'll see stems chopped off a few inches above the ground. Exactly as they would be if a human being were harvesting beet greens...which is impossible. Something is eating the beets.

 

And here in foreground is a nice crop of garlic--I hope--with a lovely array of mixed lettuces in background. No iceberg lettuce for me in the spring! And no tainted Romaine, either.

No comments: