Monday, August 9, 2021

But I don't read poetry!

Gloryland
by Shelton Johnson

I write this review with caution and many apologies. It was absolutely beautiful and awfully sad, as any book about a young black man growing up in the early 1900s must be. The language is pure poetry in prose and sometimes even real poetry or songs. Beautiful.

But I should set your expectations. If you're in the mood for a travelogue or any sort of travel narrative, this isn't it. He travels, to be sure, but in a world colored by memories and feelings. If you're in the mood for introspection, dreams, fantasies and color, this will be perfect for you. My problem was that I was in the mood for history. And this is history, but not what I was wanting.

Still, I savored every word. Beautiful. Sad. Glorious.



No comments: