Monday, August 30, 2021

Day 4 at the Ocean

 Tuesday 17 Aug 2021

Went fishing on the bay side of the island, in the channel. No bites that I noticed, although some pieces of shrimp disappeared off my hook. Could have been crabs, of course.  It came a short shower while we were there. Great bird watching site, but I forgot my binoculars. Lots of white ibis, laughing gulls, brown pelican, of course. Great blue heron, one small egret that was probably a snowy, and I think I saw a reddish egret come in for a landing.
 
Hermit crabs swarmed all over the muddy beach at the bay. When my big foot took a step, they pulled their claws back in the shell and got very still. But a minute later they were back wandering around all over. I'd have had a better time if I'd discovered them sooner--I'd have quit the fruitless fishing expedition and just played with the crabs.

Hermit crab


We returned when Bob brought his kayak in, and took a lunch break. Afterward they retired inside their Casita for a couple of hours of reading (aka taking a nap), and so did we.

The single air conditioner in the back of our RV, aided by a floor fan to push the cool air to the living room, struggled mightily to keep the place bearable. But it failed. The afternoon indoor temperature crept up to 91 or so before the setting sun forced it to start falling again. It was actually more comfortable outside than in. However, I did discover that sitting on the floor right in front of the fan, I could stand it well enough to read some Andy Carpenter.

I believe this was the night we did a crab and shrimp boil. I say we, but Bob and T did all the work. Blue Crab tastes good but I'm not so sure it's worth all the work in getting the morsels of meat out of the shells. But the shrimp were huge and meaty, the corn and potatoes well spiced, and my stomach elastic enough to swell out and consume a whole lot more than was good for me.


No comments: