Monday, August 23, 2021

Not so good as others

 Grave Instinct
by Bev Pettersen

I'm very conflicted about this. I guess...I wish...I think the author might have concentrated more on mystery and less on romance and I'd have liked it better. Because, to put it bluntly, this was little more than a romance with pretense of police work. It reminds me very much of the Victoria Holt novels I used to read as a teenager. A puzzling mystery unfolds while the heroine falls in love with the mysterious guy who happens to be in all the wrong places at all the wrong times and has every bit of means, motive and opportunity against him.

It didn't start out that way, though. The first few chapters were really good, as Nikki and her police dog Gunner are called in to investigate a disappearance at the riding studio where she'd worked years before--and where her sister had mysteriously disappeared also. that part was good enough to make me want to try a second book by the author. Will see.

No comments: