Friday, August 6, 2021

Traveling the states in Josephine

 Not Tonight, Josephine:
 A Road Trip Through Small-Town America
George Mahood

Very funny at times; enjoyable throughout. Although I had to cringe at the naivete of the two young guys buying a van on its last legs (or is that, wheels?) and trying to keep it running without any mechanical knowledge whatsoever. Of course they spent a lot of time in repair shops.

They did, however, spend a lot of time parked on streets in small towns, sleeping in cheap motels or hostels, and driving long stretches on America's blue highways. I don't think they searched out smaller roads on purpose--I don't think they did a whole lot of anything on purpose--it just happened. Delightfully.

A night in a rest area in Maine:

...it wasn't until I had setup the cooking stove and put a pan of water on to boil for some pasta that we realized just how bad the mosquitoes were. I had left the boot of Josephine wide open while I prepared dinner and the inside had already filled with the devil's spawn.


No comments: