Monday, October 11, 2021

Gardening In My Roots, nearly fall

This is from 9/28, two weeks ago, with an update

Planted garlic last Tuesday. I hope it wasn't too early. Or too deep, or too shallow, or too late, or or or. Gardening is like that. But the weather is supposed to moderate, starting tomorrow with a chance of rain (not a good chance, so I'm watering right now), and with highs staying in the low 80s for the rest of the week. Should be perfect.

I've a lot of radishes up, and something else I don't know what is. I'm hoping it's a variety of lettuce, because it's right where I put the "wild garden" lettuce seeds at. But that mix might contain radishes too, or arugula, so who knows?  In any event, I hope it's edible!

Since I've never successfully grown a fall garden, I've been watering lightly every day since I put the seeds in. (Sep 22, almost a week ago) I planted turnips, beets, radishes, daikon radishes, and the lettuce mix.  Oh, and I think I put in a couple of rows of collards.  That would be great--to grow collards!  I love them, but for some reason my mother did not. I remember way back in the day when the grocery story would get in big (seasonally) fresh stores of turnip, collard, and mustard greens.  She'd pick out handfuls of turnip greens and stuff them in a bag, to buy, and often she'd throw in a handful of mustard greens. "For spice".  

I should try that sometime.

Update 10/11: the turnips and radishes are up; the beets came up but some creature dug into the bed and disappeared them. And a whole lot of weeds are up. Sigh.

No comments: