Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Humor AND travel guide

 Florida Authentica: Your field guide to the unique, eccentric, and natural marvels of the real Sunshine State

by Ron Wiggins
    

Contains some really funny descriptions, as in hilarious. I hate to quote any because they may not be so funny out of context and that might spoil the joke for you. Here's a couple I think safe to use:

[regarding one of those magical mystery tourist traps, where balls roll uphill] If you don't believe me and Tyler, take a spirit level to Spook Hill and see for yourself. And if your spirit level tells you you're rolling backward uphill, it's lying. Have it exorcised.

[regarding an amusement park ride] "Kind of reminds me of what I had for breakfast," I said

The first half of this book describes the natural areas. Parks, swamps, and marshes. Absolutely great for my purposes, which is to find places to go. I can only hope I enjoy them as much as he did. The second half goes more pedestrian, with food, landmarks, and other human history attractions. Also good and also very funny, but less valuable to my research.


No comments: