Monday, October 18, 2021

Some mysterious things

 Among the Mad
by Jacqueline Winspear

Even a not-so-great Maisie Dobbs mystery is better than most others, and this is no exception. She is pulled in by the police (Scotland Yard?) to provide insights on the motives of a war-scarred serial killer. Or rather, she's pulled in by the killer himself, in a letter of ultimatum.


A Legacy of Murder
by Connie Berry

Okay, well. In this case a second trial didn't make up my mind--I'm still undecided about this series.

I guess I like it...so long as the library has it. I certainly don't like it well enough to pay money for it.

Here's the deal: the "detective" is an antiques dealer in America somewhere. In the first book she goes to England to help out a sister-in-law from her first marriage and ends up embroiled in the woman's murder. And she falls in love with a police detective.  But she has to go back to the states and carry on a long distance relationship.

In this one she goes to England again to visit her daughter. And murder most foul keeps her busy again.

And it looks like the next one will be set in England, too.  Or is it Scotland?  Sorry I get confused--I am by no means an anglophile of any sort. And thus, that makes strike 1 for me.

Strike 2 is the absolute bland boringness of the relationship. Which is good, in a way--I'm spared any angst of the "does he/doesn't he?" nature. Strike 3 is--well, there's isn't a strike 3 yet. I like everything else about the books and I really, really like the antique detection and the elderly antique dealer she works with to search for the missing item which will explain the whole murder thingy. That stuff is way cool.




No comments: