Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Mammoth Doesn't Go to Hawaii Day 4

 Thursday 8/11  Day 4

I'd made a 10:30 appointment to see the lighthouse and red-footed boobies that nest in the overhanging rocks. There were also tons of Wedge-Tailed Shearwater, nesting right under our feet beside the walk up to the lighthouse. It appears that Shearwater lay and hatch their eggs, then leave the chicks to sleep while they hunt all day. People were walking so close to the holes that they could reach in and touch the downy fluff of sleeping chicks, but most people didn't seem to notice them at all.



After that we went to see a somewhat disappointing waterfall. I don't remember what happened after that, but I do have a note that we ate halfway decent Mexican food at Monicos Taqueria. I'd been looking at restaurant reviews and noticed that this one had a remark, "We're from Texas, and we didn't think we'd find decent Mexican food in Hawaii."

 

Oddly enough, it was pretty good. No complementary chips and salsa, though. I had spinach enchiladas that weren't really any better than what I could make myself, at home, but they were very edible. And Ed's relleno was well prepared. We left the restaurant feeling just a little hungry, but that's okay--we had plenty of snacks back home.




No comments: