Thursday, July 6, 2023

Great book, what more to say?

 

 The Nature of Oaks

...will make you want to go right out and plant an oak tree. Or, better yet, a whole grove of oaks with their trunks ten feet apart. (It lets the roots interlock and stabilize the growth)

Sadly, in my case I did the opposite--I went out and accidentally ran the lawnmower over an oak that had been growing for several years. I think a car had run over it previously and so I couldn't see the bent trunk. But I sure felt it--the trunk was only about two inches thick but it was tough.

So now I have to go out and plant more oaks. This book is gorgeously written and very engaging. He goes into the ecology of oaks and a reviews a generous sample of the insects and birds that live among its roots, leaves, branches and even its leaf litter, which is considerable.

Great book.


No comments: