Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Mammoth Meanders to Massachusetts Day 6-

Sat June 10 - Mon June 12

The next three days are impossible to describe.  It was all just "hurry, hurry, hurry" to sit in a car and "drive, drive, drive". Load load, load stuff; drive back and unload stuff, etc....


We made four trips to the little town just north of Dartmouth where Edward stored his stuff, and on the last day he and Ed had to go back on Sunday evening to return the moving truck.  Each trip took an hour and 45 minutes at least, so that makes three hours thirty minutes on Friday, when we accomplished nothing except eating supper, then seven hours on Saturday and another seven on Sunday.


On Sunday I went back alone to the campsite and hung out for a few hours, reading and walking the dogs and all. But then I went back to the house so we could eat supper together. On Monday Ed and I hung around the camp all day until time to join the family for supper. We made a stop by a farm store in search of some local maple syrup. They had it, but only in tiny little bottles that wouldn't last Edward's family a full meal.


Then we stopped by Walmart and stocked up some groceries for May. She was tired and overwhelmed with all the unpacking and re-arranging she needed to do, and the idea of having to load up the kids and drive to a store was not appealing to her. No matter--we were happy to oblige.






I never did see a bonafide Black-Capped Chickadee , although I did watch a Chickadee on Friday which would almost certainly have been a Black-Capped by the range map alone. Chipmunks all over the place--lovely little critters. And during my long walk, I was assailed by a couple of birds in the woods. I had hoped they were water thrushes, but on checking the bird book I discovered they were probably just Ovenbird.  If one had sung, I'd have known for sure, but they only scolded me.


No comments: