Friday, July 7, 2023

Made me hungry

The Food of Paradise
by Rachel Lauden


A well researched and engaging introduction to all the various foods that have graced the islands of Hawaii, along with the people who brought them, invented them, and ate them. With recipes, of course, but even if you don't plan to make a single recipe, it's got a whole lot of reading besides.

Of course it will make you (it did me!) want to go there and try all the food you can find. So many things I missed--mochi, crack seed, saimin... And so many that I miss...especially the shave ice. Little did I know how special it was. And the poke, especially the grocery store poke.  Tasted great and I could actually afford to pig out on it!

She did a great job making a readable, enjoyable book out of it all.  I had no idea how many different people and cuisines collided to make such a medley of wonderful, wonderful food!


No comments: