Thursday, July 27, 2023

Mammoth Meanders to Massachusetts Day 9

Tue June 13
Leaving Massachusetts for Gifford Pinchot State Park.

 I wrote at the time:
Horrible long day. Late start. Backups. Diversion due to google choosing a route with low clearance. More backups at Hartford. Didn't arrive until after six, and then discovered I'd reserved a site with no water. Luckily Ed had water in the tank.

To explain all this, I have to first admit that even though I'd downloaded a "Trucker's App" on my phone that showed low clearances, I hadn't bothered to consult it. I was planning to take all Interstate highways and I really doubt if they have low-clearance issues. But when we got ready to leave, I carelessly let Google choose our route. It took us on a state highway with ominous signage: "No Commercial Traffic".

 After seeing a few of those warnings, I whipped out the app and discovered there was a low clearance twenty or so miles down the road.

Frantically switching back and forth from the app to the Google map tracking our location while we were still speeding down the highway, I started to panic. Eventually Ed asked if I wanted him to pull off and and I said, Yes!  (With a tone of defeat in my voice)

After only a very few minutes of stationary research, I was easily able to turn up a detour that took us over to the Interstate and DID NOT go under any low clearances. And we were off.

But still the wasted time--the exit, the stop and the detour--did not make me happy. Plus our new route took us way too close to New York City and the traffic it brings. 

 Didn't want to go there
Is the "Nyack" an inside joke for New Jerseyans?
The Hudson, maybe?


The issue with the lack of water is easier to explain. we always used to travel without any fresh water in our tank, because why haul weight when we didn't have to? For our first few years of traveling we never chose a campsite without water hookups. But eventually we had to choose one, and on that trip we had issues getting the water tank to fill and then figuring out the gauges.  But we succeeded, and on a couple of trips since then--Badlands National Park being one--we spent several days at campsites without water.

For the trip with Ed's Mother, he decided to travel with enough water in the tank that she could easily use the toilet on the road and not have to "flush" it with the jug of water that we keep beside the commode. And that worked so well, he decided to continue the practice. So when we arrived at this campsite and discovered I'd reserved a spot without water hookups, we had enough in the tank to survive the night nicely. (Actually, they had water faucets not far from our site and we could have filled the tank if we'd needed to.)

My mistake didn't upset me. I was having to juggle site length, electricity, access and location as usual, but then Pennsylvania threw a new wrinkle at me--"pet friendly" camping loops. Apparently the state parks in Pennsylvania have separate areas where camping with pets is allowed or not allowed. Weirdos.

Gifford Pinchot was a boring park except for the birds. Very flat. Way too far off the road for a single night.  Just trees and mowed grass; not even a rock to climb on.



Another remark at the time:
I love my raincoat. But I hate having to wear it every single day. Rainy morning in Pennsylvania. There's no such thing as flat, anywhere up here. Mass. was worse, with steeper hills; here it's more rolling hills. But big ones.

Catbirds all over the place, plus wood thrushes, mourning doves, cardinals of course.



No comments: