Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A good teen book, okay!



I'm so glad I went back and re-read the ending of Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Patterson.   The first time, I sort of skimmed it late at night and I was probably half asleep...all I could remember was, how disappointing!



But it wasn't disappointing at all.  It was nearly as good as the ending to Bridge to Terabithia, by the same author.


The meaning of the book title is a mystery, not revealed until pretty far along, so I won't give it away here.  It's dead-on the theme of the book.

Sara Louise (Wheeze) has spent her life (a) eclipsed by her beautiful, talented twin sister and (b) trying to be a son to her father.  Only a son could work on the crab boat, help build the business and provide for the family's needs.   Her parents are good people and they clearly love her very much...but they work hard and never seem to have time to see her for herself.  She never seems to need attention, so she never gets it.  She's..the other daughter.

Throw in a deranged, Bible-thumping grandmother, a lonely old man who moves into the haunted house at the end of the island, an evil orange tomcat, a best friend who never gets her jokes, and a million crabs, lobsters, tortoises and oysters; and you've got a winning combination.  I won't say I loved this book unconditionally, but I'm glad I read it.

No comments: